Golf in the province of Girona
Catalunya's golfing tradition dates back a relatively short time (the first course was opened here in 1914) but the sport´s popularity has been growing rapidly in recent years. The mild climate here allows golfers to practice their sport year-round. Forty-five courses are now in operation in Catalunya, and more are under construction. Most courses are located along the Mediterranean coastline, although eight courses lie in the foothills of the lofty Pyrenees. Thirteen of Catalunya's golf courses are situated along our recommended routes and near some of our rental properties, so we offer the following brief descriptions of each course, listed in no particular order of preference. Green fees range from about 10,000 ptas for 18 holes on weekends in high-season, to under 4,500 ptas for seniors on weekends in low-season.
We don´t offer golf package holidays as such (there are other websites for that, but they take a hefty fee and you can enjoy great savings booking on your own, which is very easy now with internet. We organize complete self-catering or B&B accommodation near or right on the golf courses.
- The APGA Golf de Catalunya, in Caldes de Maravella, 50 minutes north of Barcelona, is an offical PGA tour course, and is undoubtedly the most challenging course in Catalonia. Designed by Angel Gallardo and Neil Coles, this hilly 18 hole, par 72 course was inaugurated in June 1999. Clubhouse with restaurant, pro-shop, buggy, trolley, and club hire, locker rooms, short game area, putting-green, and driving range. Open year-round. Tel. 972 47 25 77. )
- The Club de Golf de Girona, in Sant Julià de Ramis, 4 km north of the provincial capital, has a course designed by F.W. Hawtree. The design takes advantage af the lie of the land and offers a pleasant round for golfers of all levels. Eighteen holes, green fees, hire of clubs and caddie carts, electric buggies. Caddie master, practice green, putting green, golf school for youngsters and adults, squash, paddle tennis. Bar, resto, child care crèche, shop. Open year round. (Tel: 972 17 16 41)
- The Empordà Golf Club, just off the main road linking Torroella and Palafrugell, was designed by the American expert Robert von Hagge. The course has twenty-seven holes (soon to be extended to 36) of medium difficulty, with dunes, bunkers and artificial lakes, and is considered one of the most spectacular courses in Catalunya. Green fees, hire of clubs and caddie carts, electric buggies. Caddie master, practice green, golf school. Bar, resto, child care crèche, shop. Open year round. (Tel: 972 76 04 50 / 76 01 36)
- Puigcerdà's Reial Club de Golf de Cerdanya has a magnificent 18-hole course, opened in 1929, site of many international championships. Situated in the fertile Cerdanya plain, set in oak and poplar forests and encircled by spectacular mountain peaks, Puigcerdà offers ideal conditions for summer golf, with a dry, sunny climate. Green fees, rental of clubs and carts, practice area, paddle tennis and squash courts, swimming pool. Bar and resto. Open all year. (Tel: 972 14 14 08 / 88 09 50)
- The Club de Golf Camprodon is situated near the source of the Ter river. Set amid green meadows and thick woods, against a backdrop of towering peaks, the 9-hole course has a number of water hazards and bunkers. Practice area, putting green, caddie master. Clubhouse. Open year-round except in January. (Tel: 972 13 01 25)
- Club de Golf L'Àngel de Lloret, just outside Lloret de Mar on the main road to Blanes, has a nine-hole course (nine more under construction), and is located amid beautiful Mediterranean scenery. Bar, rental of clubs, caddie carts and electric buggies. Open year round. (Tel: 972 36 54 16)
- The new golf Club de Golf d'Aro - Mas Nou is built on high ground overlooking the tourist resort of Platja d'Aro. The varied and fairly difficult round of 18 championship holes runs through gently rolling hills of pine, and features water hazards and bunkers. There is also a par three 9-hole Pitch and Putt nearby, each hole approx. 120 yards. Green fees. Rental of clubs and caddie carts, electric buggies. Two practice areas, 2 putting greens, approach, sauna, mini golf, tennis, and swimming pool. Clubhouse, bar, and resto. Open all year. (Tel: 972 82 69 00 / 81 67 27)
- The Club de Golf Costa Brava in Santa Cristina d'Aro has 18 holes (par 72), set in gentle hills of holm oak and pine. Rental of clubs and caddie carts. Practice area. Green fees. Clubhouse, bar and resto. Open year round. (Tel: 972 83 71 50 / 83 71 52)
- Golf Fontanals de Cerdanya, with 18 holes (plus 3 more for learners), is set in the wide Cerdanya valley surrounded by high Pyrenean peaks. Rental of clubs, caddie carts, buggies. Tennis, sports center, child care crèche, golf shop. Open year round. (Tel: 972 14 43 74)
- Club de Golf El Brull lies below the Montseny mountain range, just beyond Viladrau. Set in a wide valley dotted with large manor houses, the varied 18-hole course runs through woodlands, the wide greens blending harmoniously with lakes and streams. Rental of clubs and caddie carts. Swimming pool and tennis. Riding stables nearby. Clubhouse with resto and bar. Open year round. (Tel: 93.884 01 70)
- The Aravell Golf Andorra course - between Andorra and historic El Seu d'Urgell - commands magnificent views of the Cadí mountain range. The present 9-hole course is to be enlarged to 18 holes by the end of 1998. Practice areas accommodate thirty players. Hire of clubs, electric buggies and caddie carts. Bar and restaurant. Open year-round except on Mondays. (Tel: 972 36 00 66)
- Navata's Torremirona Golf Club, just off the N-260 west of Figueres, is located on the Alt Empordà plain, in gentle rolling countryside with views of the Pyrenees and the sea. Nine holes (to be extended to 18), green fees, hire of clubs and caddie carts, practice green. Resto and bar. Open all year. (Tel: 972 55 37 37)
- Perelada Golf Club, just on the outskirts of the lovely Medieval village of the same name, offers 18 holes on fairly level ground, and is suitable to golfers of all levels. Green fees, hire of clubs and caddie carts, electric buggies, practice green, golf school. Clubhouse, resto and bar. Open all year. (Tel: 972 53 82 87)