CB 400 Can Cunill - 12 air conditioned bedrooms
Can Cunill, originally dating from 1583, is one of our most luxurious, and curiously enough, one of our most popular properties. This is probably because Can Cunill is an excellent property for larger and smaller groups alike and the house and grounds exude a special kind of charm. Can Cunill offers comfort on a scale unrivaled by any other properties I have seen Two examples why: Can Cunill is the only villa with two very large pools set in a gorgeous garden with great views, and this is the only villa that has truly adequate modern double kitchen (with two of everything) and dining facilities indoors and outdoors (including a great indoor barbecue in the kitchen) perfect for large groups of over 25 guests. (Try cooking for 25 px in a "normal" kitchen!) Can Cunill It isn't flashy modern luxury, but you can't underestimate the power of old world charm & affordable prices.
Location: Can Cunill is a magnificent estate located south of Girona, 22 kilometers inland from the beach resorts of the southern Costa Brava, including Blanes, Lloret de Mar, and Tossa de Mar. Situated amidst fields and pine and oak woods 4 kilometers from a small village, Riudarenes, with plenty of shopping and good restaurants, the house is set at the end of a 150-meter long private driveway with access to the walled precinct by remote control gate. While offering a sense of privacy and even seclusion, the house is 1 km from L'Espara hamlet, with a good restaurant, and is also just 10 kilometers of the Province's main traffic arteries (the AP-7 toll road, the A-2 north/south freeway, and the C-63 and the C-35 going east/west from the gorgeous Pre-Pyrenees mountain to the gorgeous Costa Brava beaches).
Staff: Can Cunill's absentee Swiss owner has entrusted his property to a very competent and friendly housekeeper who owns a café and lives in the nearby town of Sils. Her name is Neus, she's in her early 70s now but still very efficient. If you read the extensive (since 1998!) Comment's Page for this villa you will get some idea of the importance of Neus to the scheme of things at Can Cunill. While unobtrusive, she does come to check on guests and takes out the garbage and even offers to bring exquisite fresh wood-oven baked bread and rolls every morning from a nearby bakery.
NB: the two rental houses at Can Cunill are never rented separately to different groups! Can Cunill is always rented in exclusivity to one group.
The main 10 bedroom house, a fortified masia (Catalan farmhouse), was originally built in 1583. Although totally renovated and adapted to a high standard of modern comfort, many fine details of the original structure have been conserved. The furniture and decoration is also in keeping with traditional Catalan masias, though windows have been enlarged to allow in more natural light. Balconies and covered terraces have also been added.
There are several convenient entrances on all four sides of the house. Of the 7 doorways connecting indoors to outdoors, it is hard to say which is the main entrance - I always use the kitchen entrance as I´m always coming in with shopping- but perhaps the main entrance opens onto the large central living room (65m2) with a fireplace, several sofas, and large sliding doors leading out to the back garden where you'll find the large rectangular pool and main outdoor dining area with kitchen & bbq. There are several other sitting rooms, including an sunny reading room (also with a huge widescreen TV, fireplace, and the wifi connection) with 2 sofas and again wide french doors opening onto the garden.
Adjacent to the living room is a dining room (45m2) with three tables (one table is circular, one is oval, and one is rectangular) seating about 30 and equipped with 3 full sets of silverware and plates and all kinds of glasses. Everyone who stays here agrees that the kitchen is amazingly well-equipped: and includes a large fridge, 2 large Miele dishwashers, two stovetops: one burning gas and the other electric (plus oven, plus microwave, and even an indoor barbecue!), not to mention the two separate sinks, and all the nice extras, such as the wide array of coffee making devices: including a real espresso machine that uses individual Nescafé capsules provided for free by the owners. There is also an American-style drip coffee machine, and the usual screw-top traditional Spanish expresso maker. For the English there is an electric water heater to make tea. Really and truly, this kitchen is unique.Oh, and there are 3 extra refridgerators downstairs, not counting the one in the poolside kitchen and the one in the ex-guardian's kitchen... So, a total of 5 fridges to go along with the 3 barbecues!
On the other side of the dining room from the kitchen is a covered outdoor terrace with white-painted wrought iron chairs and tables under dripping blue wisteria and facing a venerable old Cedar tree. This outdoor dining area so close to the kitchen is ideal for al fresco breakfasts. In a corner partially blocked off by large potted plants for child safety is the spiral art-nouveau staircase leading up to the 5 or 6 wrung ladder up to the observation tower which affords priceless views of the area, but best of all, excellent views of the property itself! I made a short movie from up here I'd be happy to send you.The spiral staircase also leads downstairs to the ping pong room in the garage. If you have fancy, you can take out the ping pong and use the garage for the car.
So one side of the house consists of kitchen, dining rooms (indoors and out), a large living room, a smaller reading/TV room, and a small toilet off the living room. Each of these rooms has large doors which can be closed to give privacy. This is important as the living and sleeping part of the house is well separated, meaning that those who wish to stay up late and maybe listen to music can do so without bothering those who wish to turn in early.
Beyond the TV-reading room is a beautiful wide atrium under skylights and a handsome decorated tiled & beamed roof and the extra-wide staircase going to the 7 bedrooms upstairs. Downstairs on the main floor there are 3 bedrooms, so this house is ok for wheelchair and less mobile guests who want to avoid steps:
Bedroom distribution, ground floor: beyond the rather spectacular 3-storey atrium, there are three bedrooms separated by a hallway with yet another entrance from outdoors (so this could be a private three bedroom part of the house with its own entrance. Let´s start describing and numbering the rooms:
- Bedroom 1) with 2x2 meter double bed and private bathroom with walk-in shower, good for older guests.
- Bedrooms 2) and 3) are in a sort of 2 bedroom suite, one bedroom with large double bed 2x2m and the other with two single beds, 90x190cm. Across the beautiful flagstone hallway from bedrooms 2 & 3 there is a large bathroom with a bathtub.
- In the hallway there are two extra single beds which can be used if needed.
First floor: 6 bedrooms are distributed around the 1st floor stairway:
- Bedrooms 4) and 5) are part of another large two bedroom suite. Bedroom 4) with a large 2x2m double bed and a lovely private terrace with wicker furniture overlooking the pool.
- Bedroom 5) has two has 3 single beds (90x190cm). These two rooms in this private family suite are separated by a large bathroom which has both a shower stall and a full bathtub and a long double sink, and both bedrooms have sinks in the room. It is important to note that this two bedroom suite has a central hallway with four doors, one to the hallway, one to each of the two bedrooms, and one to the bathroom. This ensures privacy and noise-proofing from the hallway...
- Bedroom 6), working our way around the hallway, has two single beds (90x180cm) and a wash basin.
- Then there is the hall bathroom with a shower stall.
- Bedroom 7), has 2 single beds (90x190cm) and a wash basin. Both rooms 6 and 7 look out over the back of the house, where there are magnificent cedar trees.
- Bedrooms 8 and 9), at the far end of the hall and behind another hallway door for privacy and noise proofing, both have 2 single beds (90x190cm) that can be pushed together to make one large double bed. Both rooms have a wash basin and one has a balcony looking out over the big round pool.
Top floor: Upstairs on the second floor, in what used to be the exercise room, under the eaves is a sort of slumber party room:
- Bedroom 10), with three single beds (90x180cm) and a low windows overlooking the main rectangular pool. There is room here for a fourth single bed turning it into a fun bedroom for kids on their own floor away from the parents....
All rooms are exterior, and all rooms except room 10 have a washbasin. Again, all bedrooms have air conditioning with individual thermostat settings, plenty of closet space and night tables with reading lights. There are three additional single beds (real beds - not fold outs) stored in a utility closet just in case. All single beds are 90x190cm, so if pushed together make a good-sized double.
The house is full of little nooks of every description: for example just off the downstairs wash room and 2 or 3 car garage there is a bricolage corner full of all kinds of tools for the handyman. From here, the wavy art-nouveau circular stairway leads perilously up to the small watch tower (see photo) with great views of the property, etc...
The ex-guardian's fully air conditoned high-quality two-bedroom house is just across the driveway at Can Cunill has just been restored and is proving to be very popular. Important: this house can never be rented separately or to any group other than those who have rented the big 10 bedroom house. If you are in a smaller group and don't need these house, we can offer you a discount on the overall price of the rental.
The description of the ex-guardian's 2-bedroom house is as follows:
- The house measures about 120m2 on two floors, with a covered garage for one car next door
- the downstairs bedroom 11) has a 2 x 2 meter double bed (king size, right?) and a single bed. It is a large bedroom
- Next door in the hallway is a full bathroom with separate shower stall and bathtub, along with toilet, sink and bidet.
- Upstairs there is a smaller en suite bedroom 12) with one single bed (90x190cm) and one smallish double bed (135x190cm), a bathroom with shower stall, and direct access to a nice terrace with table and chairs and fantastic views
- The kitchen is fully equipped and there is a table and chairs for in kitchen meals and a door leading out towards the round pool, where there is a small table for outdoor mealst
- The separate living/dining room has an elegant fireplace, some sofa and chairs, a dining room table and chairs and TV. The main entrance hall opens onto this room. There are two extra beds here making for bedroom bedroom 14) if you need it, the bedroom 13) being the hallway on the ground floor of the main house.
- The entire house is air conditioned, with 6 different A/C units in summer and central heating in winter
- The décor is simple and pleasing, with some nice details, like the wooden ceiling beams, stone fireplace, tile floors, ejust like in the main house, tc..
I have 2 emails prepared with 12 photos (taken by me) of the new ex-guardians' house I'd be happy to send you!
The garden: perhaps the most extraordinary aspect of this house is the beautifully landscaped garden, which measures 8,000 square meters and offers spectacular panoramic views of layer after layer of hills and mountains fading off into the distance. On the upper side of the house near the ex-guardian's small villa is the shallow kiddy pool measuring 10 meters round (great for doing whirlpools!) and on the other side of the house a large pool measuring 12.5 x 7, with maximum depth of 2.5 meters, so deep enough to dive into. Near the poolside is an nice covered barbecue area, with indoor or outdoor seating for over 50 guests, a poolside kitchen, including the bbq, an oven, a refrigerator, another dishwasher, and a double sink. Just above the pool is a little building with two changing rooms and two showers and one bathroom so that you don't have to go indoors to go. Around the garden there are several places to sit and enjoy the beautifully landscaping, and there are some games such as a badminton and of course a ping-pong table.
In short, Can Cunill is much more than your typical Catalan farmhouse rental. In fact, it is the only house of its kind that I know of in Catalonia. While comfortable and affordable for a few families and smaller groups, this house can also accommodate far larger groups of 25 or more. The combination of the ideal garden setting and Neus's (the caretaker) organizational skills also make Can Cunill a excellent venue for wedding parties and other gatherings. I should say here that large parties such as weddings are only welcome in the off-season, from October to May. I've even had friends celebrate their weddings here.
What's more, I think Can Cunill is very reasonably priced for what it offers, (e.g. using the peak high-season summer prices, a group of 25 guests pay just over 34 Euros per person per night. In the low-season, 20 guests pay just 17 Euros per person/night! and if you were only half that many, just 10 guests, it still comes to 34 Euros per person/night, and the prices are all-inclusive, as always, no extra or hidden costs with VillasBarcelona.com.
Can Cunill was one of the first houses to "join" our website way back in 1997. It has been a great run and I hope I can look forward to another 23 years of working with this house and Neus the wonderful caretaker!