A few Catalan sauces and condiments
- allioli- sauce made of garlic and olive oil, hand beaten into a mayonnaise-like consistency with mortar and pestle.Never eat without it!
- chilindrón- sauce made from tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and chorizo.
- garum- a black olive and anchovy paste, like French tapenade.
- picada- a thickening or flavoring agent made from pounding nuts, garlic, parsley, saffron, cinnamon, and fried bread in a mortar.
- romesco- spicey sauce of walnuts, pepper, garlic, parsley, etc. used mainly with fish.
- rovelló- reddish mushroom, Lactarius sanguifluus, often used in meat stews such as fricando.
- salsa verde- green sauce to accompany fish.
- xanfaina- like the French ratatouille, vegetable stew of onions, peppers, tomato, and sometimes eggplant.
- sofregit- a basic sauce made with oil, onions, and tomatoes.